Our latest summary of news, tool and trends in Digital Marketing , brought to you in association with www.smartinsights.com
Strategy and planning
- There’s a diverse mix of free tools available to support analysis for planning; one of the enjoyable aspects of working in digital marketing today. In one of our most popular posts this month I recommend 10 free online marketing tools that every “hands-on” marketer should use.
What is the value of social media?
Understanding the value generated from investment in social media has been a theme throughout 2012 and November saw some interesting debates happening.
- On the Smart Insights blog we recently discussed the assertion from Business Insider/Forrester that “Facebook and Twitter do almost nothing for sales”. I’m not a fan of hype-ridden headlines that aren’t fully substantiated…
- Two social media heavyweights have had a bit of a battle about whether a formula created by “Social Media Scientist” Dan Zarrella is realistic for assessing the value of a Facebook Like. Olivier “The Brand Builder” Blanchard say’s it’s How Not to Measure the Value of a Like. I’m with Olivier’s arguments.
- Meanwhile, Facebook have introduced new tools for agencies and clients to assess the value of Facebook Ads now doubt prompted by their share price changes.
- Facebook it seems are working out how to make more of likes for their customers by attempting to wheedle out any likes that aren’t authentic. As with any Google update, the results have been met with a mixed response.
Social media marketing
- Marie Page explained how, on Facebook, companies now need to encourage fans to “Subscribe to Get Notifications” as well as “Likes”
- Erik Qualman’s latest Social Media Revolution. Here’s the latest, 4th instalment in the world’s most watched social media video series.
- Facebook has now integrated Instagram following its purchase. Alan Duncan’s post shows what the new Facebook Photo App can offer users.
- We Are Social assesses the top UK Facebook pages and shows that Likes and Engagement are two very different things.
- New Ecommerce Schemas – A must read for retailers from SearchEngineLand showing how retailers now have new options to get more granular product information into the search results using Schema.org RDFa microdata.
- Analysis for SEO – The final part in the free 12 part series from James Gurd showing why you should place regular analysis at the heart of your SEO planning. Many thanks for the series and updating our 7 Steps SEO Ebook James!
- As the end of the year draws closer there are many posts looking at search trends for 2013. This one from The Drum covers 5 search trends for the coming year.
User experience, analytics and conversion optimisation
A lot of interest and examples of responsive web design this month – thanks William Seabrook for the post.
We had a mobile marketing first in the UK where Marie Claire introduced the UK’s First NFC-Enabled Print Ad
- More options for tracking campaign costs in Google Analytics – most relevant for larger companies using a lot of display advertising
- Google Analytics gets important InPage Analytics upgrade – Still doesn’t work on most of our sites though.
- For anyone after a bit of inspired reading, check out CodeClub which is delivering after school coding lessons for 9-11 yr olds. It will be interesting to see how the digital landscape changes when the next generation grow up building the web they want from a young age. Worth keeping an eye on.
Email marketing and CRM
We’ve had some great posts this month from our Expert contributors on best practices in Email marketing including:
- Email Marketing Best Practice slides from Daniel’s recent webinar gives you a lot of very useful advice on how to get the most out of your email campaigns.
- New DMA survey results showing the brand impact of emails – Mark Brownlow
- Why Email open rates are “as useful as your appendix” (and alternatives) – Tim Watson
- Examples of welcome campaigns – Richard Austin
- IBM have some excellent resources about getting the most from Social CRM, combining social with traditional marketing efforts for maximum results.
This round-up is compiled by Dave Chaffey of marketing advice site Smart Insights.